Sunday, June 21, 2009

Making the Move

We've made it to Minnesota with few, if any casualties. The family is doing well with everything and My hip has held up remarkably well, too. I'm still walking with my cane and waddling if I don't, but I can cruise around the house and even carry things for short distances without it.

I am very tired of the cane. I wish I could say that I was ready to go without it, but by about noon, I start limping and it becomes obvious that I need it. Honestly, I would be closer to getting rid of it if I were working harder on my rehab. With the move, I have become That Patient. I've done my exercises three times this week, instead of every day (or even multiple times a day.). I don't have physical therapy starting for almost another week. I only worked out twice this week.

That doesn't mean that I've been sitting around, of course. I've been up and moving and walking through airports and around the neighborhood and chasing Nora and unpacking and...well, just not what was prescribed. Things have just been so busy.

At this point, I think that I'm going to manage this with spin. I helped move a household of three people and three hundred pounds of dog 1,500 miles. I am acheiving more in a day than at any time since surgery and I feel ready to start work. I have had very little pain and have not needed any narcotics or muscle relaxors. I fatigue much less easily than even a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been in a wheelchair in over a month.

How's that?

No comments: