Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Flying Solo

After 9 weeks of being with my mom or my mother-in-law, I am alone. Now, I am normally someone who needs time to myself at the end of the day. I like to curl up with a book and not be talked to. Maybe it's all that talking that you do as a doctor.
This is something different. I haven't been by myself for more than a few discrete hours since surgery. Now, I am suddenly responsible. For me, for Nora, for laundry and dishes. "Overwhelming" isn't the right word, but "disorienting" might be. It hasn't been that long since I was a grown-up, but it's easy to allow someone else to pick up the slack.
I certainly think that I'm ready to pick up the slack. It's not like I can't walk or cook. Cleaning may be challenging, but we'll just have to see.
In related news, I took the bike off the trainer and into the out-of-doors. Yesterday, Eric and Nora went with me and today, I went by myself! Hooray! Even in the pouring rain, riding outside is more enjoyable than staring at the wall of my basement. The trainer is convenient, but um, uninspiring.
On the other hand, my first ride of the year was a breeze, which certainly was not the case last year. I distinctly recall being relatively crippled after a similar ride last Memorial Day. So maybe it's too soon to malign the poor trainer.

No comments: