Friday, May 22, 2009

Sitting, walking and riding (Post-op week 9)

I still do a lot of sitting these days and I still get tired pretty fast. But things are looking up.
Since I started physical therapy, my strength is improving immensely and I've started walking on the parallel bars while I'm there. My gait is still what I like to call "Quasimodo gimpy" without support, but it's getting better, too. I asked the therapist if I can drop down from the crutch to a cane and I got a big negatory. Can't win them all, right? But I'm really pretty done with the crutch.
I'm still riding my bike on a trainer for an hour a day. I've started giving myself one day off a week, because well, it seems to help. I'm doing some intervals with more resistance or speed, but I really just want to get out on the road. I'm worried about what happens if I blow a tire, though. I can't exactly walk my bike home.
I bought a new saddle for my bike yesterday. It's supposed to be better for butt pain and sciatica, but it is so granny, I'm embarrassed to be seen on it. Maybe it's a good thing that I can't get on the road quite yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Granny" bicycle seats don't have to be boring! http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/09/bicycle_seat_cover_tutorial.html

Eric said...

Jenni was that you? I can't think of anyone else in our lives who would be adorably kitsch enough to post sewing patterns for custom bike seat covers. And also... why?