Monday, January 19, 2009

Travelogue

I understand that when a young adult plans a trip to Europe, everyone tells them to keep a journal. The advice to write it all down is bordering on cliche. The thought, I guess is that you will change so much and have such a fantastic time that you will never want to forget it. So I understand. I've never been to Europe.

I keep wondering why I even bother committing all of this to metaphorical paper. I feel like I'm doing a lot of whining and really, do I even want to remember this time of my life? I tend to write to process and I always had trouble writing about those experiences that were fun, but not terribly thought-provoking. And I always had too many fun things to do on vacations to write a lot. Then, today it hit me. This trip has more life-changing potential than visiting another country, even if you backpack.

Theoretically, I could learn a lot from this experience and become a better doctor. Or I could completely fall apart physically and emotionally and never doctor again. Either way, should be an interesting story to tell. And god knows, I've got enough processing to do.

No comments: