Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tick...tick...tick

There is a building here in Hershey that never fails to tickle my gallows humor funnybone. It was a standard gift shop or something until about 2 years ago. Then, it was converted into a after hours urgent care clinic called "Good Nights" or something like that. They painted it dark blue and put up a neon sign of a new moon and stars with a clock in the middle. It threw me off for months until I figured out that it's not actually a functional clock.

Then, after less than a year, the clinic went out of business and the building sat empty until just recently. It was nice to see that Gift of Life was establishing an office in the area, but I wish they would have redecorated. I suspect that they don't have either the funds or wherewithal to remove that clock.

The message it sends to me is, "Now is the twilight of your life. And time is ticking." So very, very wrong.

So when I started thinking about the countdown to my surgery, I automatically thought of the non-functional, highly politically incorrect organ donation clock. We're at less than 24 hours now on a working clock.

No comments: