Sunday, March 22, 2009

Post-op day #2

It's been an interesting couple of days here on the orthopedics floor. I'm currently attached to an epidural, two IVs, a Foley catheter, a drain and a continuous passive motion machine. I'm hoping that they'll let me travel a bit lighter soon.

I'm feeling a little crummy. My Hematocrit dropped to 19 yesterday, making my blood pressure drop and my heart rate to speed up. All I knew was that I felt miserable. They gave me back the 2 units of blood that I banked before surgery and my blood counts still aren't setting world on fire, but my tongue is pink again. It was white yesterday. That was so freaky.

I also had a couple of fevers since surgery. It's nothing anyone is concerned with. They have me on antibiotics anyway and it's not likely a real infection. I can't say that I've ever experienced shaking chills and sweating through the sheets before. I could do without it to be honest.

Eric has continued to be awesome through this. They used a sterile prep goo on me that is supposed to be great for long cases because it doesn't come off. Unfortunately, it doesn't come off. And it itches. And I was prepped from my breasts to the bottom of my foot. Eric found a big bottle of rubbing alcohol and painstakingly removed all the adhesive and prep and miscellaneous crud. Then, he bathed me. That is love (or at least that's what he keeps telling me).

If anyone is interested in coming to visit, I'm up for that now. The narcotics are making me sort of loopy, which I tend to realize when the nurse or physical therapist gives me this long look, indicating that what I just said made little or no sense. Good times! So come on up to room 3245 and laugh at me. I'll laugh right along with you!

No comments: