Friday, March 27, 2009

Mommy snuggles

Yesterday was pretty rough to begin with. I can't really point to anything in particular that made it worse than any other day, but it was. I was more stiff and sore and bloated and heartburny. It was rainy and gloomy, so at least I didn't feel bad sleeping the day away.
Then, my mom went to pick Nora up from school and took her to the library as a special treat for a kid who has been a total trooper through all of this. She just didn't seem to get into it, so they came home earlier than they had planned to.
Nora just stood by my head on the couch and jabbered about her day. At one point, I asked her if she was hungry for dinner and she got a big smile on her face and said, "Yeah!" Then, she vomited all over both of us.
This put us in a quandry. These days, I do not move quickly when I move at all. Nora has no idea what to do with the puke running down her front. I called for my mom who took Nora into the bathroom, where she continued to ralph. By the time I had gotten myself off the couch and down the hall, she was in pj's and feeling better. I took her into her room and she read a story to me while mom cleaned up the living room.
Sitting in that rocking chair for fifteen minutes sent me whimpering back to the couch and reaching for my pain pills.
In the middle of the night, I awoke to hear Nora crying very quietly. Sometimes, she cries in her sleep, so I listened for a while before poking Eric and making him go check on the kid. She had again, thrown up all over her self, her stuffed animals and her bed. She was sitting in the farthest corner of her bed from the wet spot, trying to take off her shirt. Or so Eric tells me. Despite the fact that she was crying for Mommy, Mommy wasn't there.
He brought her in to me, feverish, naked and glassy-eyed and she cuddled up to my side while the functional adults in the house fixed everything. Then, he gave her Tylenol and tucked her back into bed.
Needless to say, Nora is not at daycare today. It's a burden on my mom to be taking care of both of us, so I'm trying to help. But I'm limited to fairly horizontal activities. Luckily, even when all the other Mom activities are taken away, comforting a sick kid is still an option. My arms work just fine for snuggling.

1 comment:

Kirsten Johnsen Martin said...

Oh, dear Kat - hope that tomorrow is a better day and that all are feeling a lot better. You're such a trooper! We're praying for a quick recovery for Nora and continued healing for you (without getting a GI bug!).