Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Basics

In the continuing adventure that is surgery and recovery, I will indubitably encounter situations where I ask, "Would anyone want to know that?" and it's inevitable corollary. "Do I really want anyone to know that?" This is particularly true when the surgery and subsequent swelling is close to your vital organs known as your bladder and bowels.
On the one hand, ew. And ugh.
On the other hand, if someone is reading blogs about PAOs trying to decide whether it's right to proceed with having their pelvis broken (which I did a lot of), it seems dishonest to gloss over just how much your body is returned to a more, um, basic level of functioning.
So how about this- it's there. It's an issue. My husband continues to be a rockstar. Or maybe that's a bad analogy here. He definitely isn't contributing to my problems by divorcing me and throwing televisions out the window. He's amazing. Instead, he gets up with me in the middle of the night to help me to the bathroom, wakes up early to give me shots, rearranges his life and generally takes care of me. I love him more than anything and I'm beginning to think that he likes me too.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

hang in there, babe. love it when the men reaffirm for us how AWESOME we were in our decision-making. i think you and i got pretty lucky :) i'm thinking of you every day!!

Mink said...

thanks for sharing this blog, kat. i'm thinking of you... and so glad you have an awesome husband (and a pretty cute kid--the green band-aid story actually choked me up a bit...)
-mink

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am officially addicted.
I've checked your blog like 5 times today.
No new posts!!?
You realize that now you have "a public" that you must appease, right?
I know, I know....you're busy "healing a major joint trauma" or something. Whatever. Your fingers ain't broke! (Nor your spirit, I suspect.) So keep the updates comin'!
-Tubanner