Monday, April 6, 2009

POD #17

So, I'm no longer the slug I once was. Starting 2 days ago, I've been riding a stationary bike for an hour a day. And today, I added swimming.
I initially intended to swim for about 20 minutes, after having ridden for an hour. But I got to the gym today and the woman at the desk refused to let me in, because I didn't have a written doctor's clearance. I offered to write her one on the spot. She was less than impressed with this suggestion. So I went to the pool and swam for about 30 minutes, walked in the water for 20 minutes and treaded water for ten minutes (thinking that bicycling my legs against no resistance in the pool would be similar to bicycling my legs against no resistance in a gym). I figured that I was going to spend the rest of the day strapped to my CPM machine and sleeping, so I might as well give what I had.
Then, on my way home, Eric called and brought up the possibility of riding the stationary bike another gym near us and just paying the day pass fee. After I got over feeling stupid, I agreed that that sounded like a good idea. So, I'm headed over there now. I'm trying to think of rehab as my job right now. If it takes everything out of me, consumes my whole day and requires me to eat more to support it, so be it. I want to give this surgery as good a chance of succeeding as I can. At least I know that a blood clot is unlikely. And I should sleep well tonight.

No comments: